When renovating a home,the most important decision you will make will be choosing a contractor. Here are some tips on how to do just that:
1. Do your homework. For us this meant asking around, checking references, checking out projects that our contractor worked on. This is where the proof is in the pudding.
2. Talk to him. Talk at length about your vision and be clear about your needs and wants. Your contractor should show interest in what you are saying and what you want. He will have ideas (don’t forget this is NOT his first renovation) and a good contractor will offer advice on how to work within your budget.
3. Trust your gut. If something seems “off” then it probably is. Nuff said!
4. Check in with him often. We speak to our contractor daily and most times, its several times a day. Things can change quickly and you have to both be on the same page to get what you want.
5. Don’t expect miracles. They do happen, but not usually in the renovation business. If you are fortunate enough to find a contractor who will do little “extra things” for you, then consider yourself blessed! They usually charge for anything that was not originally negotiated in the price.
I’m sure there are hundreds of other tips but these are the ones that we have found most useful. We have been extremely blessed to find the contractor that we hired for our reno. Mark from Storm Construction has been forthright,honest and accommodating. We value his experience and honest opinion and look forward to finishing this renovation knowing that he was a huge part of it.