I have been wanting to try Miss Mustard Seed’s Milk Paint for a very long time. When I found out a friend was heading to Moncton, I knew it was my chance to get my hands on some. Problem was…the store where it is available was closed on that day, such a major bummer! But… through Facebook, the stores’ owner (Wendy from Front Porch Mercantile) got wind that my friend Jan wanted to pick up some paint and so kindly offered to open her shop just for her! Isn’t that awesome? I sure thought so, thanks again Wendy!
So I purchased the starter kit with Eulalie’s Sky as my paint color (Wendy threw in a sample size of Linen so that I could mix up the colors) and basically got to work painting the very next day. The photos below are the end result. I have been painting furniture for a long time and I have to say that milk paint is one of the easiest paints that I’ve ever worked with. It doesn’t have a gross smell, it goes on the surface with ease and for some reason, it just makes me happy. It does require a lot of mixing though, I ended up putting it in the blender to get a good smooth consistency.
The other bonus with Milk Paint is that you don’t have to sand the wood before you paint. The only thing I did to prep the dresser was to wipe it down with a wet cloth and I allowed time for it to dry before I started painting. I also added bonding agent that came with my kit as this dresser had a few layers of stain and some kind of varnish on the finish.
Now…on to the Hemp Oil. This stuff is amazing! For real! I bought this 1950’s dresser on Kijiji last Spring and sanded it down, added a light stain and buffed it up with furniture wax. It started to look dull weeks after I applied the furniture wax so I applied another coat and hoped for the best. Well, within weeks again, it was getting drab looking and I figured that I would just leave it as is.
I had read some things online about the MMS Hemp Oil and how it literally brings your wood back to life. So, I decided to try it for myself. You can see how it brightened the wood and made it look so much better! I used about 3 teaspoons on the entire top surface of the dresser, a little goes a long way.
Linking up to… Thanks!